To enroll in a bachelor programme at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts you have to meet certain conditions, and pass the entrance exam.
For enrolment in the academic Bachelor of Visual Arts programme the candidate-student must hold one of the following:
- a secondary school diploma;
- a diploma of higher education of the short type with full curriculum;
- a diploma of higher education for social promotion, excluding the certificate of Pedagogical Competence;
- a diploma or certificate awarded in the context of higher vocational education;
- a study certificate recognised as equivalent to one of the previous diplomas by virtue of a legal standard, a European directive or an international agreement.
These include the following foreign study certificates:
Foreign study certificates
- Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife
- Ylioppilastutkintotodistus / Studentexamenbevis
- Diplôme du baccalauréat général
- Gimnáziumi Érettségi Bizonyítvány
- Diploma di superamento dell’esame di stato conclusive (issued by a liceo classico/scientifico/linguistico/scienzo umane)
- Te’udat Bagrut
- Atestāts par vispārējo vidējo izglītību
- Diplôme de fin d’études secondaires classiques/techniques
- Diplôme de fin d’études secondaires (until 2017)
- VWO (Preparatory University Education)
- HBO-Propedeuse (Higher Vocational Education)
- Svidotstvo pro zdobuttja povnoj zagalnoj serednjoj osviti (since 2019)
- Atestat pro povnu zagalnu serednju osvitu (old name until 2019)
- Świadectwo dojrzałości
- Diploma / Certificado / Certidão do Ensino Secundário
- Diploma de Bacalaureat
- Attestat o srednem obsjtsjem obrazovanii
- Título de Bachiller (Bachillerato)
- Lise Diploması
United States of America
- High school diploma with a record or transcript listing at least 4 APs (advanced placements)
- GCE (General Certificate of Education) with mentioning of 3 A-levels with grade A*, A, B, of C.
- SQC (Scottish Qualifications Certificate) with 4 Highers + 2 Advanced Highers
- Maturitätszeugnis / Maturitätsausweis / Certificat de Maturité
If you have obtained a diploma or certificate in a country outside the European Union, not mentioned in the list above, the admissions committee may give you permission to enrol for a bachelor programme if your diploma gives access to a bachelor’s programme in that country, comparable to a Flemisch bachelor programme.
The application must contain the following documents:
- a completed Application Form for admission with a foreign diploma;
- a legalised copy of your diploma;
- if your diploma was drawn up in a language other than Dutch, French, English or German, please enclose a sworn Dutch translation;
- a declaration from the embassy or consulate stating that this diploma gives you access to a bachelor's programme in the country where you obtained the diploma. This is not necessary if this is already stated on the diploma itself or if it is a bachelor's degree.
->The Candidate-students must file the application to the Student Center at the latest on the 15th of October.
E-mail address: Student Center (email@example.com)
After the admissions committee has examined your application, it will let you know whether you can enrol.
For specific questions about the admission requirements or your diploma, please contact the student administration office (see email adress above)
For more detailed information concerning the conditions of admission, please read our Education and Examination Regulations 2022-2023.
APS screening for Chinese candidate students
Candidate students with a Chinese diploma need to obtain a certificate from the Center for Academic Assessment (APS) in Beijing, when applying at a Flemish higher education institution. The APS certificate is also required for obtaining a student visa at the Belgian Embassy or Consulates General in PR China.
The APS screening is not an academic selection procedure, but is meant to avoid document fraud and to guarantee a sufficient language knowledge.
To enrol in a bachelor or master programme at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp, you need to prove having sufficient knowledge of the language in which the programme is taught.
Language requirement for enrolment in the English-taught bachelor and master programme
For the English-language academic Bachelor's and Master's programmes in Fine Arts, you must have sufficient knowledge of the English language (CEFR level B2).
Flemish candidate students can prove this through an ASO diploma, Dutch candidate students through a VWO diploma.
Language level can also be proven through:
- Proof of at least one successfully completed year of study in English-language secondary education, or
- Proof of at least 60 obtained ECTS in English-language higher education, or
- A language certificate (CEFR level B2, see below).
English Language Test
Language certificates that suffice:
- IELTS (Academic) - with a minimum score of 6.0
- TOEFL iBT - with a minimum score of 79
- Cambridge B2 First, or C1 Advanced/C2 Proficiency
- Duolingo English Test - with a minimum score of 100
At Linguapolis (Interuniversity Test of Academic English (ITACE) an English language tests can be taken. Taking a test is possible by appointment at a generally scheduled test moment or during an individual test moment. You can always contact them directly via www.uantwerpen.be/en/centres/linguapolis/language-tests/english-language-tests/itace/itace-students-dates/ But they can also be taken in other language centres in Flanders or in your home country.
A valid proof of language is a necessary and mandatory document that you need to start your enrolment.
So be sure to check in advance whether you already meet the conditions.
If this is not the case, we advise you make reservations for the test in time and also take into account the costs.
Language requirement for enrolment in the Dutch-taught bachelor and master programme
For the Dutch-taught academic Bachelor's and Master's programmes in Fine Arts, you must meet the general admission requirements and have sufficient knowledge of Dutch. The required language level is B2 (CEFR). You meet this if you:
- Have successfully completed at least one year of secondary education in Dutch, or
- Passed a programme or one or more programme components, totalling at least 60 credits in Dutch-language higher education, or
- Can provide one of the following language certificates:
- ITNA certificate (Interuniversitaire Taaltest Nederlands voor Anderstaligen)
- Attestation of level 3 of a CVO (Centre for Adult Education): either 2 partial attestations of level 3 of 120 teaching periods each (3.1 oral and 3.2 written) or one training attestation of the entire level 3 of 240 teaching periods.
- Atlas - Civilian test Dutch B2 / Certification language test Dutch B2
Attestation B2 of CNaVT
- Dutch State Examination NT2 II
Dutch Language Test
The Interuniversity Dutch Language Test for Foreign Language Speakers was developed by the language centres of four Flemish universities. The language test is conducted by Linguapolis, among others: https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/centres/linguapolis/.
If in doubt, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Artistic entrance exam Bachelor
The Bachelor of Arts in Visual Arts programme is only available to candidate students who have passed the artistic entrance exam.
Per academic year, the academy organizes 2 artistic entrance exams for admission to the Bachelor of Visual Arts. The artistic entrance exam assesses your artistic insight, cultural knowledge, creativity, skills and motivation. This two-day test consists of different assignments and an interview during which we will also discuss your curriculum vitae, possible home assignments and your portfolio.
This year's trial will be (partially) digital and or physical (except fashion: for this department, the trial will be entirely digital). So be sure to take a look at item 4.2. Description: Portfolio, Assignment and Interview to see how the artistic trial will go for your chosen department.
You can only participate once per academic year in the artistic entrance exam for a particular graduation direction and selection process within the Fine Arts program.
However, it is possible to take part in the artistic entrance exam for various specializations and selection processes.
NOTE FOR CANDIDATES OUTSIDE THE EEA
Candidate students from outside the EEA are strongly advised to take part in the artistic entrance exam in July 2023 (session 1). Candidate students from outside the EEA must submit their application for a student visa as soon as possible after they have passed the artistic entrance exam. Only then can they obtain the necessary visa in time to attend classes from the start of the academic year and gain the necessary access to the Academy's buildings and facilities.
The information about the entrance exam for the academic year 2024-2025 will be published below in February/March 2024.
The artistic entrance exam will be organized two times in 2023 on the following dates:
Session 1: Monday 3rd of July and Tuesday 4th of July 2023 Registration possible until Monday, 5th of June 2023 Uploading documents (CV, portfolio and motivation letter + possible assignments to be submitted in advance) possible until Tuesday 13th of June 2023 Session 2: Monday 4th of September and Tuesday 5th of September 2023 Registration possible until Thursday, 17th of August 2023 Uploading documents (CV, portfolio and motivation letter + possible assignments to be submitted in advance) possible until Wednesday 23rd of August 2023
2. Practical information
For the FASHION major, the artistic entrance test is organized completely DIGITALLY.
For the other majors, you can take the artistic entrance test and the interviews both digitally and physically. Choose your preference physical or digital when registering for the artistic entrance test.
The link where you can upload your files (artistic assignments) and additional information about the course of Day 1 and Day 2 will be sent to you by email.
We expect to see you on Campus on Monday 3 July,2023 and Tuesday 4 July, 2023.
àHours: 09:00 - 17:00
àLocation: Blindestraat 13, 2000 Antwerp
3. Registration and payment
You can take the artistic entrance test and the interviews both digitally and physically. (For the Fashion major, the artistic entrance test is organized completely digitally) Choose your preference physical or digital when registering for the artistic entrance test.
In order to participate in an artistic entrance exam, you must pay a non-refundable administrative fee of 25 euros, to be paid in advance, during the online registration.
We would like to receive your payment no later than:
Session 1: Tuesday June 6, 2023
Session 2: Friday August 18, 2023
--> Please note that your payment may take a few days to arrive so be sure to bring your payment in good time!!!
Due to our annual summer closure, we will be closed from July 20, 2023 to August 15. During this period, we are also unable to process payments and therefore the links (submission documents) will be sent later.
After registration and payment you go through the following steps (item 4.The course and content)
4. The course and content: Session 2
4.1 To be submitted in advance (for ALL candidates) C.V. indicating the studies carried out. Letter of motivation with a very clear indication of why you choose this direction. Portfolio → Merge your C.V. , motivation letter and portfolio in one file (PDF)
→ File name: use your personal name, so that we know to whom it belongs.
Example filename : name_familyname_portfolio_en.pdf
→ Upload your files via the link that will be sent to you by email
→ Submitting possible until Wednesday August 23, 2023
Assignments submitted in advance (see below item 4.2 Pdfs per department)
→ Name: use your personal name so we know who it belongs to. (name_family_assignment_in advance.pdf)
→ Upload your files via the link that will be sent to you by mail
→ Submission possible until Wednesday August 23, 2023
4.2 Description: Portfolio, Assignment and Interview (digital & physical)
5. Results artistic entrance exam
Friday the 8th of September 2023you will receive a message whether or not you have passed the artistic entrance exam, along with some further information.
6. Passed the artistic entrance exam?
After passing the entrance exam, you will receive an e-mail with all the information needed in order to enrol.
If you have passed the artistic entrance exam and if you also meet the diploma and language requirements, you can enrol in your chosen specialization in the Bachelor of Arts in Visual Arts Programme for the academic year 2023-2024.
To enroll, you must also meet the diploma and language requirements.
Find more information by following this link.
After the artistic entrance exam
If you pass the artistic entrance exam this year, you can enrol in your chosen specialization in the Bachelor of Arts in Visual Arts Programme for the academic year 2023-2024. To enrol, you must also meet the diploma and language requirements by the beginning of the academic year:
- 18 September 2023 for academic year 2023-2024
Read more about the admission requirements on the top of this page.