To enroll in a bachelor programme at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts you have to meet certain conditions, and pass the entrance exam.
You should be in possession of at least one of the following diplomas:
- a degree in Secondary Education, awarded by the Flemish Government
- a degree in Higher Education
- a degree or certificate that is being acknowledged as equal by law, degree, European guideline or any other international agreement.
Please note! The Dutch degrees MBO4 and HAVO are not sufficient!
Here are some of the European degrees that are sufficient:
- European “Baccalaureaat Diploma”, awarded by the European schools in Belgium or abroad;
- “Diplôme du baccalauréat international”, awarded by the Office du Baccalauréat International in Geneva;
- Luxemburg’s "diplôme de Fin d’Etudes secondaires" or "diplôme de Fin d’Etudes secondaires techniques";
- Dutch diploma “Voorbereidend wetenschappelijk onderwijs” (VWO);
- Dutch “Getuigschrift van met goed gevolg afgelegd propaedeutisch examen”;
- French diploma " Baccalauréat" with a minimum score of 10/20;
- German diploma “Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife/Abitur”;
- “High school diploma” (USA) with a ‘record of transcript’, that contains at least 4 APs (Advanced Placements);
- diploma awarded by the SHAPE-school (NAVO);
Students from outside the European Union need to apply for a certificate from their Embassy that states that the said secondary/high school diploma grants access to a University in the country where it was obtained. For more information concerning conditions of admission, please contact email@example.com.
Language requirement for enrolment in the English-taught bachelor and master programme
To enroll in the English-taught bachelor and master programme in Visual Arts, under any type of contract whatsoever, you need to prove having sufficient knowledge of the English language. This can be done in different ways:
- by submitting proof of having an ASO-degree (Flemish prospective students) or a VWO diploma (Dutch prospective students);
- or by submitting proof of having successfully completed at least one year of English-taught secondary education;
- or by submitting proof of having successfully completed a study programme or one or more course units with a total study load of at least 60 ECTS credits in English-language higher education;
- or by providing a language certificate.
The required level of English proficiency is determined according to the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference). Your language certificate must demonstrate that you possess the B2 level.
English language tests can be taken at Linguapolis (Interuniversity Test of Academic English (ITACE), but they can also be taken in other language centres in Flanders or in your home country.
Language requirement for enrolment in the Dutch-taught bachelor and master programme
To enroll in the Dutch-taught bachelor and master programme in Visual Arts, under any type of contract whatsoever, you need to prove having sufficient knowledge of the Dutch language. This can be done in different ways:
- by submitting proof of having successfully completed at least one year of Dutch-taught secondary education;
- or by submitting proof of having successfully completed a study programme or one or more course units with a total study load of at least 60 ECTS credits in Dutch-taught higher education;
- or by submitting proof of having passed the Interuniversity Language Test Dutch for Foreigners (ITNA) or another proof from an adult education center or recognized language center.
The Interuniversity Language Test Dutch for Foreigners (ITNA) was developed by the language centers of four Flemish universities, and can be taken at Linguapolis:
The required level of Dutch proficiency is determined according to the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference). Your language certificate must demonstrate that you possess the B2 level.
Entrance exam Bachelor
The Bachelor of Arts in Visual Arts programme is only available to candidate students who have passed the artistic entrance examination.
The artistic entrance examination assesses your artistic insight, cultural knowledge, creativity, skills and motivation. This two-day test consists of different assignments and an interview during which we will also discuss your curriculum vitae, possible home assignments and your portfolio.
In 2020 the artistic entrance examination will be organized three times, on the following dates:
- Monday 16 and Tuesday 17 March 2020
- Thursday 2 and Friday 3 July 2020
- Thursday 3 and Friday 4 September 2020
The artistic entrance examinations in March and July are open for candidate students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)*.
The artistic entrance examinations in July and September are open for candidate students from within the EEA.
*EEA = EU + Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein
DATE CANDIDATE STUDENTS
FROM OUTSIDE THE EEA
FROM WITHIN THE EEA
16 and 17 March 2020 X 2 and 3 July 2020 X X 3 and 4 September 2020 X
One can only participate once per academic year in the artistic entrance exam for a specific specialization and option within the Visual Arts programme. It is however possible to participate in the entrance exam for different specializations and options in the same year.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR FASHION CANDIDATES
There is no artistic entrance examination for the specialization Fashion in March.
Fashion candidates can participate in the artistic entrance examination in July and September.
We however strongly advise fashion candidates from outside the EEA to participate in the artistic entrance exam organized in July and not the one in September. Candidates from outside the EEA have to apply for a student visa. The visa application procedure can take up to three months or longer. If candidates participate in the entrance exam in July and submit their application for a student visa immediately after having passed the exam, they can obtain their visa in time. In this way they can follow the classes from the beginning of the academic year and can also gain the necessary access to the buildings and facilities of the Academy.
For more details on the artistic entrance examination follow the links below:
- Fine Arts - In Situ³
- Fine Arts - Painting
- Fine Arts - Printmaking
- Fine Arts - Sculpture
- Graphic Design
- Jewellery Design
- Theatre Costume Design
Registration and payment
You can register for an artistic entrance exam online. Click on the link bellow.
In order to participate in an artistic entrance exam, you must pay a non-refundable administrative fee of 25 euros, to be paid in advance, during the online registration.
Payment is due three days before the artistic entrance exam.