Extra Academy organizes an open program of lectures, performances, workshops and screenings around artistic practice, reflection and research.
Extra Academy is an alliance between the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp, Sint Lucas School of Arts and Het Bos, and is curated by Nico Dockx (Academy), Joery Schepers (Het Bos), Teun Verbruggen (Conservatoire) and Helen Mauli Dowling (Sint Lucas).
The platform that they offer, is one where participants become acquainted with practices and visions that are hardly or not at all addressed in the media or art education. In this way they aspire to create a much broader picture of the stratification and rich complexity of what contemporary artistic practice can mean in dialogue with, among other things, art-historical, socio-political, philosophical and economic implications.
Extra Academy is being held at Het Bos, Ankerrui 5-7, 2000 Antwerpen.
- 7 October 2021: Extra Academy #67 - book presentation Extra Academy (celebrating ten years Extra Academy) at Het Bos + special guest
- 28 October 2021: Extra Academy #68 - BIOSPHERE 2: Laure Prouvost (+ students RAFA: Emma Johnson, Maria Sawizki, Lucia Mrakovcic / RCA: Jenna Vergeynst, Alex Smith, Francisco Rojas Huertas / under guidance of Nico Dockx, Eric Thielemans, Frank Agsteribbe and with cooking experiment by Charlotte Koopman)
- 4 November 2021: Extra Academy #69 - Liesje De Laet (CHT collective)
- 9 December 2021: Extra Academy #70 - Andrew Chi
- 27 January 2022: Extra Academy #71 - Melissa Gordon
- 24 February 2022: Extra Academy #72 - Eric Thielemans (+ concert)
- 10 March 2022: Extra Academy #73 - Bruno Zhu
- 21 April 2022: Extra Academy #74 - Brandon LaBelle (+ workshop on "listening", in the context of Expanding Academy)
- 19 May 2022: Extra Academy #75 - Orlando Maaike Gouwenberg
View the full archive here:
#1 to #54 at Kunsthal Extra City
#55 to today at Het Bos
(Photo by Wannes Cré)